13-16 June 2023: 35th Workshop on Recent Developments in Electronic Structure Methods, UC Merced
To sign up for the Electronic Structure Workshop email list, where you will receive updates about this workshop and future ones, please fill out your info here!
July 2021: The virtual 33rd workshop was Monday-Thursday, July 12-15, 2021, organized by the Flatiron Institute.
June 2020: The virtual 32nd workshop was held at UC Merced, after cancellation of the planned in-person workshop.
- David Strubbe (chair), Dept. of Physics, University of California, Merced
- Aurora Pribram-Jones, Dept. of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California, Merced
- Steven G. Louie, Dept. of Physics, University of California, Berkeley and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Jeffrey B. Neaton, Dept. of Physics, University of California, Berkeley and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Promotional slide for 2021
Tuesday June 13 is for arrival and registration in the afternoon/evening. The scientific sessions of the conference start on Wednesday morning and finish at noon on Friday.
Getting to Merced
- Air: Advanced Air has flights from Las Vegas and Los Angeles to Merced's tiny airport, a 20-minute drive from campus. Fresno airport (FAT) is 1 hour's drive away from Merced, and has flights from some major airports in the western half of the US, and Chicago O'Hare airport. San Francisco (the main international airport in the area), San José, Oakland, and Sacramento airports are all 2 hours' drive away. You can take the Amtrak train from Fresno, Sacramento, San Francisco, and Oakland. From the last two, taking the BART commuter rail to Richmond is convenient, as there is an Amtrak station right next to BART there.
- Rail: Amtrak's San Joaquins line runs between Oakland and Bakersfield (with bus connections at each end to San Francisco, Los Angeles, and other California cities), and connects to Sacramento.
- Driving: Merced is located just off Highway 99. See driving directions here. The Bay Area is about 2 hours' drive away (see above), and Los Angeles is about 5 hours' drive away.
- Weather: In June, high temperatures are typically around 90 F. Rain is rare.
- The workshop housing, talks, poster session, and meals will all be on campus (map), which is about 15 minutes drive from downtown Merced.
- Campus address: 5200 N. Lake Rd., Merced, CA 95343.
- Virtual tour of campus
The meeting will be conducted according to the American Physical Society's Code of Conduct for APS Meetings.